Joining: Online Credit Card Payments
The easiest way to join JALT is by credit card using our online registration form. We can accept VISA, MasterCard, JCB, and American Express. Other joining options are listed below.
Annual membership fees
If You Are Inside Japan
- Regular member: 13,000 yen
- Five-year member: 52,000 yen
- Joint member (2 people who share the same address): 10,500 yen per person
- Student member: 7,000 yen — Available to full-time students of undergraduate or graduate universities, vocational schools, technical schools, or other degree-granting programs. This program is designed to help people who are just getting started in the field and do not have the income benefits of a full-time job. Part-time work is O.K. Submit the JALT Verification of Full-time Status for Student Membership form, the institution's certificate of enrollment (在学証明書), or other document provided by the institution clearly indicating full-time status. Student ID is insufficient. Document must be forwarded to JALT Central Office (Urban Edge Bldg 5F, 1-37-9 Taito, Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-0016) within two weeks following payment before processing can proceed
Download the verification form in English or Japanese (PDF format).
- Senior member: 7,000 yen — Available to JALT members who are or will be at least 65 years of age at the start of a term of membership. Copy of ID that has your date of birth on it is required. Document must be forwarded to JALT Central Office (Urban Edge Bldg 5F, 1-37-9 Taito, Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-0016) within two weeks following payment before processing can proceed.
- Group member: 8,500 yen per person for a group of 5 or more (one copy of each publication is sent to the group address)
- SIGs: Membership in one SIG is included in membership fees. You can join extra SIGs at 2,000 yen for each additional SIG
Outside of Japan
- Sea Mail (All countries): 11,000 yen
- Air Mail (Asia): 12,000 yen
- Air Mail (Middle East, all other countries): 13,500 Yen
For libraries and educational institutions interested in carrying all JALT publications.
- Print: 25,000 yen
- Print and online: 30,000 yen
Joining: Inside Japan (Non Credit Card)
(1) Go to any post office and request a postal transfer form. In Japanese, this is known as a "yubin furikae youshi". (Note: this form is available on the back page of The Language Teacher)
(2) Remit the correct amount to the JALT Postal Account number shown below;
Account Name: JALT
Account Number: 00290-1-70903
(3) Be sure to indicate your full mailing address, e-mail address, phone, and fax.
(4) The Central Office will process your application within two weeks and you will start receiving JALT publications within approximately four to six weeks.
NOTE: The Chapter Membership officer at your local chapter meeting may also be able to help you fill out the postal furikae form. In many cases the Chapter Membership officer may be willing to accept your money and then pay at a Post Office on your behalf. For information about a chapter near you, visit the Chapters and Special Interest Groups page.
Joining: Outside Of Japan (Non Credit Card)
There are two ways to join JALT from overseas.
(1) By International Postal Money Order in Yen
Mail an international postal order in Japanese Yen for your JALT Membership directly to the JALT Central Office, which is located at this address:Urban Edge Building 5th Floor
Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-0016 Japan
(2) By Bank Transfer
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the necessary information to complete a wire transfer.
NOTE: At this time the Central Office cannot accept bank checks or personal checks. All funds must be in Japanese yen.
Once you have made your payment, download and fill out the Overseas Membership Form (PDF format; requires Adobe Acrobat). Indicate your complete mailing address, e-mail address, phone, and fax, and type of membership you want.
The Central Office will process your application within four weeks. Delivery time of your JALT publications will vary depending on the mail option you have chosen.
If you have any questions, contact the Central Office