The JALT Central Office (JCO) is now operating under normal hours. The office opens at 9:00 and closes at 18:00. Contact the JCO at email@example.com. For more information on what JALT is trying to do to help, click on the following link: http://jalt.org/emergency_response
JALT Central Office (JCO) Resumes Regular Office Hours
Wed, 03/16/2011 - 10:07pm
JALT2011 Research Grants
Mon, 03/14/2011 - 8:25pm
JALT is offering three research grants of 100,000 yen for research to be carried out over the period of 2011-2012. The three JALT research grants are available for JALT members who do not already have access to institutional assistance and research grant funding from their place(s) of employment. The grants are specifically designed for part-time teachers working from the kindergarten to tertiary levels, as well as individual teachers working for themselves, companies, or language schools. If you are a full-time teacher but do not have access to institutional assistance and research grant funding from your place of employment, you may also apply. If you are doing graduate work on a part-time basis AND working as a teacher, you may also apply. However, the grants are NOT available for JALT members doing full-time graduate studies. See http://jalt.org/researchgrants for full details.
JALT2011 Call for Presentations
Mon, 01/17/2011 - 3:30pm
The call for presentations for JALT2011, JALT's annual conference is now open. Full details can be found at http://jalt.org/conference/jalt2011/jalt2011-call-presentations
Pan-SIG 2011: Call for Papers
Fri, 12/03/2010 - 7:16pm
Pan-SIG 2011: Call for Papers - Deadline: Feb 15, 2011 (for May 21-22, 2011) The organizing committee of the JALT Pan-SIG Conference 2011 invites interested teacher researchers to submit presentation proposals for the 10th Annual Pan-SIG Conference, which will be held on Saturday and Sunday, May 21st and 22nd, 2011 at Shinshu University, Faculty of Arts, Matsumoto, Nagano. Full details: http://pansig.org/2011
Announcement of the 2nd Ordinary General Meeting of 2010
Fri, 11/05/2010 - 11:20pm
Announcement of the 2nd Ordinary General Meeting of 2010 Date: Sunday, November 21, 2010 Time: 3:50 p.m. – 4:50 p.m. Place: Aichi Industry and Labor Center in Nagoya, Room 1003 Agenda: Item 1: Appointment of the Chair Item 2: Approval of elected Directors and Auditor Item 3: Amendment of Article 24-3 of the Constitution (Convening the General Meeting) Item 4: Amendment of Article 28-2 of the Constitution (Voting at General Meeting) Item 5: Amendment of Article 29(1)2 of the Constitution (Minutes of General Meeting) Item 6: Amendment of Article 33-3 of the Constitution (Convening the Executive Board Meeting) Item 7: Amendment of Article 36 (2) of the Constitution (Voting at Executive Board Meeting) Item 8: Amendment of Article 37-1(2) of the Constitution (Minutes of the Executive Board Meeting) 平成２２年度第２回通常総会 日時：平成２２年１１月２１日（日）午後３時５０分―午後４時５０分 場所：名古屋市愛知県産業労働センター １００３号室 議題： 第１号議案：議長選出 第２号議案：選出された理事と監事の承認 第３号議案：定款第24条3項の変更(総会の招集) 第4号議案：定款第28条2項の変更(総会での表決権等) 第5号議案：定款第29条1項(2)の変更(総会の議事録) 第６号議案：定款第33条3項の変更(執行役員会の招集) 第７号議案：定款第36条２項の変更(執行役員会の表決権等) 第8号議案：定款第37条1項(2)の変更(執行役員会の議事録)
OGM Proxies -- Goal achieved!
Sun, 09/26/2010 - 10:30am
Many thanks for your support!We are glad to announce that we have reached the required number of proxies. Also, the OGM voted unamimously to adopt the constitutional changes. Thank you very much for your support!
Proxy Collection Project
Dear members, As we hope you are aware, JALT is in the midst of a very important project to collect proxy forms from all JALT members. If we get these proxies we can make important changes to the JALT Constitution. These changes will allow us to collect future proxies by email. The proxy is a substitute for your attendance at the upcoming Ordinary General Meeting, which will be held at the JALT conference in Nagoya. To help ensure that JALT can get enough proxies, it would be great if _every_ JALT member turned in his or her proxy. If you have not yet turned in your proxy, here are a few ways for you to turn it in:
- Use the postage paid envelope which arrived with your September/ October mailing of The Language Teacher:
* Fill out the proxy, sign it, seal it and mail it to JALT Central Office with the postage-paid envelope.
- Turn in your proxy at a Chapter event in October:
* If you can't find your proxy form, then use the one that is downloadable from this page.
* After printing it, fill it out, sign it, and bring it to the Chapter event you are attending.
- Use the proxy form and postage-paid envelope that will arrive in the November/December issue of The Language Teacher: * Fill out the proxy, sign it, seal it and mail it to JALT Central Office with the postage-paid envelope.
- What is the proxy?
* The proxy is your substitute for attending the Ordinary General Meeting at JALT2010 and also allows you to vote for constitutional changes that we hope to pass at the OGM. The changes are detailed in the documents linked to this message.
- I've been a JALT member for many years, but this is the first time I've been asked to sign and send in a proxy. Why do we suddenly have to do this?
* In short, we did not know that we had to do it until now. As soon as we discovered that it was necessary to have a majority of members present at the OGM, in person or by proxy, we made plans to collect proxies from all members.
- Will I have to do this every year?
* If we get enough proxies (1,400 in all) then we will be able to implement electronic collection of proxies. That would mean that we can have members fill out a web form to send the proxy, which will be convenient and economical for all concerned. It will also help members participate in JALT more effectively.
- I think my membership has lapsed. Should I still turn in a proxy?
* Please send a message to membership-office (at) jalt.org to ask for your membership status. If your membership has lapsed, you can send in your proxy at the time that you renew your membership. JALT Central Office (JCO) will have details for you.
- Several of my colleagues and I want to send our proxies in together. Is that OK?
* Certainly! Please send in as many proxies in one envelope as you like.
- Do I have to mark a vote?
* No, but it is a somewhat complicated. You can send in the proxy without a vote and you will be counted as present for quorum purposes, which is very important. But an unmarked vote will end up being a "No" vote, as an abstention on a constitutional vote is counted as "No".
- I plan to be at the OGM. Do I still need to turn in a proxy?
* Yes! The proxy ensures that if you could not make it for some reason that your presence for quorum and your vote will be counted.
- I don't know my membership number.
* Not a problem! If you send in the proxy without the number, JCO will fill it in for you. Or, you can find the number on your TLT address label. Finally, feel free to email membership-office (at) jalt.org to ask for your membership number.
- What's the deadline?
* We would like to get the mailed proxies by 10 November. We can accept proxies after that time, but we would really like to get the required number before then so we can go into the JALT2010 conference without worrying about how to collect the remaining proxies.
- I'm still reading, and I have a different question. * Great! Thank you for reading this far, and please send your question to jco (at) jalt.org.
Research Grants Deadline Approaching!
Sun, 07/25/2010 - 8:56pm
Still thinking? Under a week to go now until the MIDNIGHT 31ST JULY DEADLINE for applying for this year's Research Grants! Details at: http://jalt.org/researchgrants Anthony Robins Research Grants Committee Chair
JALT2010 Submission Status
Sun, 07/25/2010 - 5:20pm
All those who submitted presentation proposals for JALT2010 should be getting the results of their presentation proposals soon. Please contact us if you have not heard anything about the status of your presentation by July 31st.
Election Ballots Out - Please consider and Vote
Sun, 07/11/2010 - 9:28am
Please look for the Sakura Pink Ballot forms in your July TLT. Candidate Statements, Bios and photos can be found on pages 69-76 or on-line here: http://jalt.org/general/2010-national-elections-candidate-statements-and-bios
June 27 Ordinary General Meeting agenda and reports
Sun, 06/20/2010 - 10:36am
The agenda and reports for the June 27 Ordinary General Meeting are now on the JALT website. Choose "OGM" from the Information menu. The OGM will be held at the Tokyo Memorial Youth Center, Room 416, Sunday June 27, 14:00-15:30. All JALT members may attend.