Video clips (short MP4s) not only stimulate interest in the language-learning classroom, but they can also be used to teach virtually any area of the syllabus. This presentation will describe how specific language skills can be taught through video, and provide suggestions for selection, preparation, and classroom procedures.
· Research about the pedagogical validity of using video clips.
· How video clips can develop specific skills, and increase interest and motivation.
· My own experiences using video.
· Demonstration and audience participation.
· Suggestions for selection, material preparation, and classroom procedures.
· How to obtain video materials from the Internet and other resources.
· Participants share their own ideas, experiences, and concerns about using video.
Kim Kanel, language teacher, administrator, musician, with English, Japanese and Spanish fluency, and an MA in Applied Linguistics, has taught in Japan for 38 years, published numerous articles in professional journals, and nine textbooks currently being used in Japan.